Sunday, May 22, 2011

Italy Day Ten: Oliva Twist and a pick pocket or two and Mr. Toads Wild Ride

Well all during out tour trip our tour guide has been warning everyone to be aware of the pick pockets and gypsies. This morning, Cheryl and I became well too acquainted with two gypsies and yes pick pocketers. We caught a cab to the train station and as we began to board the train two young ladies, one with a baby opened the door from inside the train and assisted Cheryl in finding our compartment. Next they had to assist us in loading our luggage up onto the racks. Now Cheryl and I were thinking, oh they are in the same compartment and that’s why they are assisting us. First my bag was lifted up and then it took one of the young ladies, Cheryl and I to lift Cheryl’s bag up onto the rack. As we began to lift the bag I felt something at my rear pocket and thought hm… I must have caught my wallet pocket along the baby and mother behind me. No, once again I felt something on my rear pocket and swatting my hand behind me I told Cheryl to move very sternly and pushing the bag upward turned to confront our friends.
Now I wasn’t sure if they were trying to lifting my wallet or not and the one young woman plead poverty and that she was pregnant I told Cheryl to give her a euro and get her out of our compartment. Cheryl noted the disappointment on her face when she observed that Cheryl’s purse was not accessible.

It was interesting to note as I told Cheryl that I thought they were trying to lift my wallet that we saw them outside the train on the platform moving into another unknowing tourist to assist. Yes, they did try to lift my wallet. She had managed to unbutton my rear pocket with my wallet in it, however, when I swatted her hand away and became a little irritated they immediately retreated not wanting to create a scene. As the train loaded we warned those who understood us to be aware of the gypsies.

Our trip was otherwise without incident but left me a bit more cautious. We did share the compartment with two other couples one from Portland, Oregon and one from Australia. It was at least comforting to spend then 1 ½ hours conversing in English at the time.

Disembarked from the train in Naples and said goodbye to our traveling companions. This is when we caught Mr Toad's Wild Ride from the train termini to the hotel.  Again, the traffic signs and lanes are only suggestions in Italy.  As we rushed through town and could see the VIN numbers in each vehicle next to us we had to wonder if we would survive this adventure in one piece.  I thought Tijuana Taxi drives were one for the storybooks well Italy will top the books also.

 It was disappointing to drive through Naples and see the filth and atmosphere of the city. Crime rate is high, dirty conditions, and having experienced now firsthand the attempt of being stolen from left a sour taste in my mouth. We had a late lunch and then realized that we had missed the last departure time jump on/off bus we retired for the evening with hopes that things would get better in the morning.


 
Naples is the birth place of the pizza.  This evening we located a restaurant that confirmed that Naples knows how to make a pizza.  Antinio & Antinio was a great find and we will revisit them before our stay is over.

1 comment:

The Boyacks said...

Glad that they didn't get anything from you. That could have been so sad. Who would have thought that they could have been so bold and daring.