Sunday, May 13, 2007

Scouting & Mother's Day Weekend

It's been another busy week and we have accomplished a lot at work, home, and play. Progress is slowly happening with our new home construction; but I'll save the remarks for a separate blog comment on the home.

Friday, I rushed home from work and loaded up my gear to go camping with my Varsity Scouts. We had planned a great camp out to the Sand Dunes. I was even able to talk my son, Taylor into coming as a support adult. We had 4 adults and 5 youth participate.

We arrived at the Sand Dunes around 7:30 pm and immediately found a camping spot close to the dunes so we could play. Taylor and I had a balanced diet of hot dogs and corn tamales. Of course a good scouter always eats well but plans the meal to have no or little dishes. Don't want to waste time cleaning dishes when we could sit around the fire and talk. We finally went to bed around midnight after gazing at the stars. Someone talked about the stars being diamonds on black velvet and it was a beautiful site.

The next morning, we arose, ate breakfast, and then the games began. First, we were entertained by a fox family.
I had throw out a bit of egg and within minutes Papa fox dug up the egg and scampered back into the wash next to where we were camped. We quickly observed that he was bring the food back to home for mama and four little foxes who were scampering about in the wash and playing. This was an amazing site to see and so close to where we had established our camp.

Mother Fox kept diligent watch of us
as we approached as close as we dare for pictures.

The rest of the morning we spent playing on the dunes.

I got a good work out playing ultimate Frisbee which I'm still trying to figure out if they were trying to get me into shape or trying to kill me. The adults took on the youth and we held our own.

We left the dunes around 10:30 and arrived home at 1:00pm, unpacked and then began preparations for our Mother's Day Celebration. Everybody came. Philip, Jenny, Adyson, and Lexi; John, Rachel, and Gabe; Taylor even had a date for the occasion and Megan endured to the bitter end; Mimi and Lori.

Barbecued chicken and Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler was the feast and it was a great feast. We just enjoyed the whole evening eating, talking, and playing a game or two of boccie. We even exchanged our Mother's Day Gifts since Mother's Day everyone is going every which way and it's hard to get everyone together. We have found celebrating on the Saturday before is much more easier and enjoyable.



We really hated to see the evening end; but all good things must come to an end, I'm told. I really appreciate each of my children and being around them and the grandchildren well they have "papa" and "grammy" wrapped around their fingers.

I just wanted to tell my wife, daughters, and to all mothers around the world. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY and thank you for all that you do!

1 comment:

The Boyacks said...

Thanks for a great day. We love spending time with you guys. I am so glad that we started celebrating mothers day on saturday - it makes it so enjoyable and relaxing!