Thursday, May 27, 2010

Williamsburg to Mount Vernon

This morning, we saddled our horses and began our trek to learn more about General Washington. I have become somewhat more interested in this man and how he conducted his life while here in Williamsburg. So we pointed the horses north and began our trek Northward. The trail took us through other familiar names associated with battlefields and history. Places such as Fredricksburg, Spotsylvinia, Quantico and Fort A. P. Hill. We also passed by places such as Richmond and Petersburg. Finally as we neared Washington D. C. we veered to the right and entered into Alexandria, VA.

Yes, some 2 1/2 hours later we arrived at Mount Vernon to learn more of the man we call the Father of our Nation. Yes, we have fast horses.


Mount Vernon was well worth the trip. It was a hot and muggy day, temperature well into the 90's; but any uncomfortable situations which we were asked to endure was worth the opportunity to walk the grounds and tour Mount Vernon. The home sits on a hill overlooking the Potomac River and provides a tranquil atmosphere to ponder upon the events that it has seen and the individuals whom lived within it's walls.

I was reminded of several facts that I had been taught and forgotten about Washington (i.e. he was a surveyor in his early youth). I also learned new and fascinating facts about President Washington and his family. He was a organized man who took great thought and preparations before commencing upon a task. Despite his lack of military experience, he without ever leading a campaign lead the colonist army to victory by outsmarting the British Generals.



We were also fortunate to have a local high school class perform for the audience as part of their senior project.


While touring the museum, we observed the shoes and a replica dress that Martha wore on her wedding day. I know that my granddaughters would be interested in these two items. So I made sure to include them in my blog for their appreciation of beauty and fashion.

The day was overwhelming and convinced me that given the opportunity again I would return to be fed again. Turning our horses Southward, we arrived back in Williamsburg some 3 1/2 hours later. There were many horses on the path as we headed home around 5:00 pm. Too many for my liking; but we did survive the rush hour madness. Tomorrow we travel to Jamestown.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I need to add Mt Vernon to my list of places to go see. Can't wait to see pictures from your trip!